Botswana Geoscience Institute (BGI), was established to undertake research in the field of geosciences and provide specialised geoscientific services, be a custodian of geoscience information, promote the search for and exploration of any mineral in Botswana and to act as an advisory body in respect to of geosciences and geohazards.
We are active in;
- Promoting public understanding of geoscience.
- Advancing the geoscientific knowledge of Botswana.
- Undertaking geoscientific research, related technological development and disseminating geoscientific research findings;
- Long term monitoring, effective data management and high quality applied research including and not limited to the following;
- Geoscience information updates including digitization and web delivery enabling of data,
- Rapid map revisions to geological mapping
- Seismicity risk reduction assessment and geohazards related to extra-terrestrial events risk reduction assessment;
- Systematic geochemical survey for mineral exploration and environmental baseline purposes.
- National resource assessment and estimate of mineral resource, petroleum and gas potential.
- Strategic aquifer mapping and underground modelling
- Thematic mapping.
- National geotechnical indicators in response to expanding towns and villages,
- Regional impacts of mining, including water extraction or kimberlitic dewatering,
- Compiling and developing a comprehensive and integrated collection of knowledge and information of geology, geochemistry, geophysics, engineering geology, economic geology, geochronology, geotechnical investigations, seismology, geohazards, environmental geology and other related disciplines.